Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Thin Blue Line: WnW Fast Dry Saved by the Blue & SHSM Midnight in NY

I may or may not have mentioned here that I work for a police department. I'm not an officer, and I have no desire to be, but I have a great appreciation and respect for the job those good people do every day. I see, on a lesser scale, the kinds of situations they confront and the people they deal with, both good and bad, every day. I know what it means when someone says "family, blood and blue". I see the thin blue line. And I know what it feels like to be a member of the big blue police family.

That feeling is never more apparent than when tragedy strikes. It surrounded me at the moment of greatest tragedy and horror in my life, when my mom (a 32 year veteran of the department) was stolen from us as a result of a botched home invasion robbery almost 4 years ago.

It came back, bright and strong, when we learned that one of my most favorite officers is battling cancer. I'm wearing two rubber bracelets in honor of the Family Fight, a tiny gesture to remind him that he's got a big support system. But he's doing well, and we have high hopes he's going to be just fine.

Then something not so fine. This past weekend, there was a freak accident, and one of our officers was horribly injured. After multiple surgeries and procedures, valiant attempts to repair his broken body by some truly talented and caring doctors and nurses, he died Sunday afternoon. And the blue family pulled together around the blood family in our common grief.

So. Another tiny gesture: The Thin Blue Line. A sign of respect for a kind, funny, and intelligent man. A veteran of the Air Force. Dear husband. Devoted father to his son and step-son alike. Excellent police officer.

Friend.



I will miss you, Jimmy. We all will. You were truly one of the good guys.



(this manicure was done using Wet N Wild Fast Dry: Saved by the Blue and Sally Hansen Salon Manicure in Midnight in NY. I used a ridge filler first, then one coat of Saved by the Blue. I added a tape line and one coat of Midnight in NY, and peeled the tape while it was still wet. I used Seche Vite for the top coat, which shrank at the tips and pulled the black back--should have known better, I guess?)

No comments:

Post a Comment